Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Fosshape Hat

This is a perching hat I made and designed in my TMA 468-R Millinery and Footwear class Fall 2013 at BYU. It is made to look like a wedding cake and is work by my beautiful roommate Ashley.




Sarah Stewart
Instructor Deanne Dewitt
TMA 468-R Millinery
13 November 2013
Abstract
I made a hat that looks like a cake for my Fosshape hat project. I at first did my research, which was really just to look at cakes and see which ones I wanted to imitate, but I also looked up other cake hats to show what I was trying to make. I then drew up my design and the basic idea of what I wanted my hat to look like. Then I made my pattern, cut it out, and cut out the Fosshape. Then I sewed it together by machine. Then I steamed it on a head block and later a roll of paper towels to get the desired shape out of it. At this point, I was ready to add the fabric, and I was originally intending to make the hat out of felt and make cute little fruits out of the felt to go on top. However, I changed my mind because I decided I wanted the cake hat to be classy, not cute and childish, and I found an elegant cream rayon fabric, which I envisioned bunching really well into a frosting texture, and I found a pleated, shear, light fabric as well, which I thought would look great as a bottom frosting, so I decided to use those fabrics, which made my hat look totally different from my design, but still achieved the bunching frosting texture I had in my original design. After selecting these fabrics, I cut out the crown and top of my hat in the cream fabric and made the crown three times longer than the actual hat, and I basted it in four vertical lines and pulled the fabric back down to the four inches and put it onto the hat. Then I cut out and added the inner crown and top lining, and glued them in place using the spray glue. Then I sewed on the brim in the cream fabric, after which I sewed on the pleated shear fabric. Then I sewed on the bottom brim lining and at last my cake hat was finished and ready to eat . . .  wear.
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/325/7/7/lolita_cake_mini_top_hat_by_thepurplepumpkin-d5lpcfg.jpg
http://images.coplusk.net/project_images/46399/image/full_cake4.2_1267888896.jpghttp://th03.deviantart.net/fs39/200H/f/2008/314/c/1/Cake_Hat_mark_2_by_sakurafairy.jpghttp://images.coplusk.net/project_images/87317/image/full_Photo_on_2011-04-01_at_16.04__2_1301699910.jpg
Bibliography
Pictures taken from the following websites:
Supplies on hat: Fosshape, shear pleated fabric, cream rayon


Sarah Stewart
Instructor Deanne Dewitt
TMA 468-R Millinery
17 December 2013
Fosshape Hat Construction
Supplies: Fosshape, cream rayon, spray glue, and the usual sewing supplies
Directions:
1.      Obtain supplies.
2.      Cut out pattern leaving no seam allowance in fosshape.
3.      Sew crown into circle that fits the circle on the pieces.
4.      Sew crown to tip.
5.      Sew crown to brim.
6.      Now, steam the fosshape. Put something under it that will make it create the shape and size desired. It will shrink and harden into the shape it is steamed into. I used a roll of paper towels to create the shape of the tip and crown, and the table top to create the flat brim.
7.      Once the desired shape is achieved, cut out the pattern with an extra inch and a half on the inner circle of the brim. Cut out two pieces of each. Except for the crown. Cut one crown and then take a piece that is four times the height of the crown and the same in every other dimension.
8.      Take the piece that is four times the height of the crown, and baste it in four places that are equidistant. Sew the tip to this piece.
9.      Now, sew the brim top and bottom onto the fosshape, using stab stitch.
10.  Now gather the piece from step #8 on its basted stitches on all until it fits the crown and tip of the hat perfectly.
11.  Sew these pieces together using stab stitch and turning the raw edge under.
12.  Sew the second tip piece and the exactly cut crown piece together so that they will fit inside the hat as the inner lining.
13.  Now spray the glue on the inside of the hat.
14.  Put the lining in it, gluing it in.
15.  Turn the raw edge under and sew that bottom of the crown the bottom of the brim.
16.  Add any decorations, such as lace, sheer pleated fabrics, or jewelry piece to decorate the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment